Skip to main content

Only 5 books!




Before we left South Africa 30 years ago, my mother lobbed a grenade in my lap. I was allowed only 5 books in my hand luggage.  No that’s not a typo. How on earth was I going to curate my extensive collection gathered since I first learnt to read?

She then reminded me that where ever we’d end up in the world there’d always be a library nearby. This was small comfort as books are and always will be my only security blanket. Would 5 be enough to temporarily wrap me from neck to toe? I had my doubts. I mean, I know those pages have heaps of thermal properties but … My choices would need to cover as many of my needs as possible. So I agonised for weeks and finally decided on the following books to sustain me while I endured the wait to cross library thresholds in the Promised Land:

FIVE: With One Voice – A Hymn book for all the churches (filched from school on my last day – SORRY!)

A strange one to be sure. But you need to understand why this book was part of my collection. It was the hymnal at my secondary school, St Barnabas College. While my singing skills are none existent – no, I’m not exaggerating – I loved the exuberant singing in school chapel every day. Two of my favourites to this very day are The Lord of The Dance and The Prayer of St Francis. The end of term hymn however, was always Onward Christian Soldiers and trust me, when sung by a group of students fully aware their holiday is moments away – it is a pretty rousing affair.


FOUR: The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley (a book I seem to have owned since forever – it has my name written in it by my mother, wonderful penmanship. They knew how to scribe in days of yore.)

I can’t even remember when I first got this book. It’s a hardback abridged copy from 1974 and is in a rather sorry state. The pages have turned a sort of ochre colour. My absolute favourite thing about this book is the vibrant front cover of a little boy riding on the back of a perch.  When I flick through the pages, the scent of childhood wafts past my nostrils. It’s sweet and intangible but lingers endlessly.  This book goes back to the days when you didn’t even need a blurb to sell a book. You simply told the world it was a classic and that was that.


THREE: The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (I’m on my 4th copy of this book because I let people borrow it.  They never return it. Can’t think why.)

This book is marvellous in so many ways it ridiculous to try and name them. I’ve turned to it for solace and advice more times than I can mention, including when my mum died and later when my dad did too.


TWO: Dr From Lhasa by T Lobsang Rampa (My copy is more bedraggled than The Water Babies. It doesn’t even have a cover. It seems sacrilegious to buy a new one.)

In our house back then there was no division between children’s and adults’ books. My parents put no restrictions on what I read at all. No doubt I picked up this book after I’d finished a large pile of library books. It was my introduction to karma, astral projection and all things psychic.  It is without a doubt the reason I often add many of these elements into my own writing. The tattered, aged and aromatic pages of this book are all the inspiration I need to get my writing juices flowing.


ONE: The Lord of the Rings by RR Tolkien (The entire trilogy in one tome of fabulous Fantasy goodness. This is in fact my 2nd copy because a certain Ashley Augustus borrowed the first and did not treat it very well. Shame on you Ashley!)

The main reason this is at number 1 is because it was the book which first introduced me to Fantasy, one of my all-time favourite genres. That however is not the only reason it’s top of the chart. A national newspaper was running a competition in which readers had to submit a drawing of what they thought a hobbit looked like using the description from the book. My mother’s drawing, together with my creative input, won 3rd prize. After receiving this mighty tome my mother then solemnly placed it into my hands, thereby sealing the fate of my reading tastes forever.

I've only chosen to show 3 of the 5 books I was allowed as Lord of the Rings is
so damned chunky and would have taken up the majority of the picture, while
the state of Dr From Lhasa would have my book owning licence revoked.


I'm slowly getting over the trauma the 5 book event caused and was lucky enough to find several superb libraries along the way to pull me through, one of them in particular - Carnegie Library in Herne Hill. If however, heaven forbid, you were only allowed 5 books to keep and treasure forever, which would they be and why?

Comments

  1. So interesting - awful to have to make such choices! Wonderful choices. I'd forgotten about T. Lobsang Rampa who I read in my late teens! I think you sneaked a 6th in your suitcase though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could have sneaked a 6th Lindsay. My mother was eagle-eyed and supervised the packing. She knew I'd have packed all the books and not bothered with the clothing. Going to reread Lobsang as soon as I get the time. Such memories.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It's much appreciated as is the time you take to write a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w