Friday, 23 June 2017

#Review: A Dance With Dragons (After The Feast)



A Dance with Dragons (After The Feast) by George R R Martin




This book was as exasperating for me as the Dreams & Dust instalment, primarily because I knew much of the events from the TV series albeit in a truncated and slightly altered version. The name listing akin to the begats of the Bible was equally trying and pulled me away from the story far too many times for my liking. I wouldn’t have minded too much if it had been an isolated incidence, but it seemed to be almost everywhere.

There were some lovely moments when characters voiced realisations about situations or their own flaws but in general I was a little under whelmed by this book.  I found myself eager to get to bits I was as yet unaware of. And while there were such moments, they were far too rare.

It was pretty obvious that everyone who was anyone was gathering their forces as there are a few almighty battles in the offing. I did not find this section stirring or entertaining. My main thought was – “Well, let’s get on with it then so we can see who and what’s left after the smoke has cleared and we’ve wallowed knee deep in carnage and blood.”


So, the overwhelming feeling I was left with at the end of this read was frustration. Usually while reading one of Martin’s books, I’m already looking forward to the next instalment. In this instance that is not the case. I think I will take a hiatus before moving on to The Winds of Winter despite the fact it is due for release this month. I’m hoping the intervening time will help me get over my annoyance at being left so unfulfilled.




No comments:

Post a Comment