Skip to main content

Injecting Fun Into Your Routine: Step 3




So this is the final instalment of how I inject FUN into my routine. By the way, I’m not advocating that you do the exact same things I do to get your writing brain to peak performance. What I’m advising is that you find those pass times which serve to reinvigorate you best. 




I love nothing more than heading off to the cinema to watch a great film on the big screen. Unfortunately I don’t have the time I had when I was at university. Back then I’d treat myself to a visit to The Cornerhouse after a session of research or revision at Manchester Central Library.  Now I’m restricted to unexpected free evenings or the weekend.  I’m more than happy to go to the cinema on my own but am always delighted when I can share the experience with a friend or two.

My love of cinema stems from childhood. My parents were avid film goers and I was dragged along even before I was potty trained. There is a rumour going round that once this event took place my knighted throne travelled with us to the cinema. But I’m not substantiating anything. After the film, on the drive home in the car, my parents would discuss what they loved about it, what they hated, who they thought had acted superbly and more. As soon as I could voice my opinion, I joined in these discussions. It is yet another treasured memory amongst a list of so many others.

I have ways and means of getting round the time constraints which prevent me from going to the cinema as often as I’d like.  More often than not though, I'm going to watch something on TV.  I'm unashamedly addicted to stuff on telly. I often watch reams of home and garden improvement shows as well as cooking programmes. New series I'm currently hooked on are: The Handmaid's TaleBroken and Poldark. In April & May I was also drawn into the Crucible Snooker Championships and confess I was just a little bit addicted.  And of course, Wimbledon kicks off soon. 

Then there’s my Lovefilm account because I just love receiving those little red envelopes through the letter box. It’s like getting a present even when it’s not your birthday or Christmas. 




If you're still searching for that one activity which suits you best then take a look at this.  I did a little survey with the ALLi Facebook forum and this is a top 10 list of activities fellow writers find most enervating. As you can see from number 1, it turns out us writers are not as sedentary as people might think.

  1. Exercise (Yoga, Pilates, Martial Arts, cycling, running, dancing, gardening, golf)
  2. Getting out into nature (walks or horse rides in the countryside/on the beach)
  3. Walks in parks or botanical gardens
  4. Playing with and exercising pets (owned and borrowed)
  5. Listening to music, audio books or podcasts
  6. Meditation & mindfulness
  7. Reading for pleasure
  8. Watching TV or Film
  9. Long distance driving
  10. Painting or crafting




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w