Skip to main content

For The Love of Cheese




My favourite cheese in all the world is Pecorino.  The fact that I can name an Italian cheese as my first cheese love is entirely due to my university boyfriend, Andrew.  He also introduced my very naïve South African butt to pubs and Belgian fruit beer, but that’s a whole other blog post.

The main point of this post is that I regularly have wedges of stinky weird cheeses taking up space in my fridge.  They don’t last in the fridge for very long as cheese with a piece of fruit is a regular snack when I’m lounging on the sofa watching a box set or two.

Even before I met Andrew I liked a bit of cheese.  But if you’d asked me about varieties I would have looked at you with a blank stare.  In South Africa I ate of the cheese.  Of course I did, but it was mainly of the Cheddar and Edam sort.  Red Leicester was introduced into the repertoire once I came to the UK.  I didn’t really know there was much else.  


Please remember, before crossing an ocean to my adventurous life in the UK I lived in the land of big meat and any other food group was categorised as a mere condiment.



But after I met Andrew one of our Sunday brunch rituals involved lounging for long periods of time in The Mark Addy Pub which is located on the banks of the river Irwell.  There they served sizable chunks of any cheese you could care to name with hunks of tasty bread and heaped spoonfuls of chutneys and pickles to boot.


Suddenly, along with intermittent bouts of studying, my life was full of blue veins, oozing Bries, Stinky Bishops and a whole lot more.  I’ve always been of the opinion when it comes to food that one should taste first and ask questions later.  This particular brand of cavalier food negotiation skill has led to some truly yeugh moments but equally to other mouth-watering moments of taste-bud bliss.  So all in all it’s a tack which has led me down new food routes I’m very happy to have taken.

And with my taste tour of cheeses within the walls of the Mark Addy overlooking a rather splendid view of the river I might add, I learned to love the cheese.  I care not for all those health warnings about high cholesterol.  I am a health food rebel and proud to be so.



So I was heartily pleased when I attended a wedding earlier this year to see that the wedding cake was made up of several wheels of delicious cheese.  Now these are my kind of people I thought and this wedding cake only serves to confirm that.



There is a belief held in some cultures that one meets and interacts with certain people so they can enhance certain aspects of one’s life and hopefully you do the same for them.  Well, university boyfriend Andrew – you’ve certainly done that for me with regards to cheese.  So, thank you, thank you, thank you.


Some out there may think this a trivial thing.  But opening up to something as simple as a new cheese is opening up the possibility of new tastes to savour in life itself.  So my advice: try new things people and see what the world has to offer.




Comments

  1. The wedding cake certainly gives a whole new meaning to cheesecake. I tried a strawberry cheese yesterday, a sort of crumbly creamy cheese with a very good flavour of strawberry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mm m m - strawberry cheese sounds delectable. Would probably work really well in a cheesecake. Wonder if it would go well with Nutella?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It's much appreciated as is the time you take to write a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w