Skip to main content

Guest Post: Creative Recharge

Lindsay Bamfield started writing fiction about 10 years ago. She has written a number of short stories and flash fiction pieces and has been published in Greenacre Writers Anthology, Voices from the Web 2012, The Best of Café Lit 2012, Mslexia, Writers’ News and Writing Magazine. 

She has won prizes in Writers’ News, Writing Magazine and Words with Jam competitions and has been shortlisted in others. She is currently re-working her first novel with advice from an editor and has a second novel on the back-burner. 


How do I recharge my writing batteries? I’m not sure I’m the right person to answer this as my batteries are still somewhat depleted after illness and debilitating treatment, but my writing activity, although still less than ideal has bounced back to some extent. It was only after being ill that I understood just how much energy writing requires. Exhaustion does not engender creativity.

After a frustrating dry-spell when I wanted to write but either couldn’t come up with ideas or couldn’t seem to get them to the page, I used the ideas that helped me write in the first place. Writing exercises, from the first writing groups I belonged to, using a prompt – pictures worked best, but I also tried snippets from the news or a quote. I gave myself permission to churn out something less than wonderful – and that was the most important bit, because it took the pressure off.

‘Less than wonderful’ can be abandoned without harm or re-worked into something better. Flash fiction fitted the bill; 50 to 500 word pieces were manageable. To motivate myself I took part in some WriteOnSite competitions. After a few attempts with no placement and a couple of ‘near misses’ I managed to win one which was a great boost.

I examined old short stories and flash fiction pieces that had been rejected or become also-rans in competitions and began reworking them – here I could put my writing skills to work without having to come up with new ideas. One rejigged flash fiction won third place in quite a major competition while another won a smaller competition.



I’ve always been a voracious reader as I find it both relaxing and stimulating – so when writing takes energy I don’t have, reading helps boost it and so is a vital part of my writing process. It’s all research!



Getting out and about more also benefits my writing. For ages my energy levels got me to work to earn the money but there was none to spare for much else, so it wasn’t until I began to do more, whether going for a walk, or visiting new places that vitality began to reawaken. 

Observing new surroundings, whether a local café or park, travelling on a train or on a trip to an amazing Wonder of the World such as Machu Picchu is excellent for revitalising the soul and that helps revitalise writing as well as the stimuli of new material. (Mmm how about tax-relief on the cost of my next trip?)

My other battery-charger is simply to have days with no writing. If I am tired and don’t feel like writing, I don’t. So often I see writers advising others to write every single day no matter what. I disagree. A day off or several, does wonders for me. Sometimes I end up writing after all simply because I don’t feel obliged to do so.

All in all although the rejections may still outweigh the successes, I’m now doing more writing! 


Comments

  1. I think you're right to take a break and read or do something else if you really don't feel like writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Patsy. We all need a little time away from the work, even if we love doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post, Lindsay, with lots of good ideas and advice. I always find that reading is the best activity when I'm not writing and never fails to bring new inspiration. I recently re-read a favourite short story and was amazed by how much extra depth I discovered in it by focusing on it line-by-line and noticing all that wasn't said between the words. I wrote down my thoughts and now use these notes to help me when I'm writing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice, Joanna. I will try that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Threaded through your post is some wonderful advice, Lindsay. 'Permission to write something less than wonderful' and 'if you don't feel like writing then don't'. I absolutely agree.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It's much appreciated as is the time you take to write a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w