Skip to main content

Poetry & Me




I wrote poetry long before I became embroiled in fiction.

I was 12 and had just started school at St Barnabas College. My English teacher got us to create an anthology of favourite poems. I spent hours trawling through books in the local and school library. I'm talking here about the dark ages before the internet.

At any rate, this first dip into poetry soaked the form into my bloodstream through my fingertips as I licked pages to turn them. I didn't always understand the poems but they stirred the embers of a certain something in me. A something my 12 year old self couldn't quite name but felt compelled to rake up into the steady flicker of a pilot flame.

And so it began.

 While other girls my age were writing in their diaries, I was filling a notebook with poems. Some of these I shared with my mother – my harshest critic. Others I kept to myself because, they voiced my teenage angst – you know, the kind only a teenager can possess.


As I grew older I discovered fiction and wrote my first novel – Panthra.

Then I moved on to short stories but quickly returned to longer fiction.

The point of this preamble is that as a consequence I've always had a soft spot for poets. I know I can never be a very good one – I tend to get too flowery with my language. Turning 40 instilled a certain amount of wisdom in me with regards to my writing.  I now leave the outstanding poetry to those who know how to do it.




Well, okay, sometimes I still write the odd one or two but tend to keep them to myself.

Okay, okay, I still write quite a lot of it in a notebook I keep in a drawer by the side of my bed. Geez, you guys are relentless.



Now moving on. A few months ago I introduced you to the poet Caroline Natzler. This month I'll be introducing you to Karina Vidler. I met Karina at one of Caroline's workshops and we clicked.  When our busy schedules allow, we meet up at The Royal Festival Hall for tea, cake and a chat.

Karina Vidler


Whenever I read Karina's poetry I get that same hit I got when I first read poetry as a 12 year old. There's an honesty, power and energy to Karina's poetry which I truly admire.

I am immensely pleased to announce that 32 of her poems have been chosen to feature in a Prolebooks pamphlet called Caboodle.



I've been invited up to Sheffield for the launch of Caboodle. This is a triple bonus for me.

  1. I get to go to Sheffield – there's something about the landscape up there which calls to the English part of my mixed up genes;
  2. Catch up with my wonderful writing friend Bev Cross and her family;
  3. Sample the joys of a pamphlet launch.

After the event I'll be sure to give you the low down.  But if by any chance you're near The Fat Cat in Sheffield on 19th February, why not pop by to sample the goods for yourself.

Later this month Karina will be the featured poet on this blog.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It's much appreciated as is the time you take to write a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w