Skip to main content

Highlighting Highs



I've always been a highlighter. I can't resist a neon coloured pen. And when they come in a range of designs with flowers on them or cute ears on the lids which make you think of pandas...


Well, I think there are many people out there who will agree – stationery rocks and cute stationery rocks like Hugh Jackman. 






There are definite similarities as far as I'm concerned.

When I was at Uni my notes were covered in a range of florid colours which needed an elaborate key to be understood. At times I had to study the key and commit it to memory just in order to understand the notes I'd made.

So imagine my excitement when I discovered the highlighter on my word processing package came in a range of dandy colours, but sadly, no panda ears.

This little resource should not go to waste I thought.

But Sharp Dark Things (2nd novel, in case you've forgotten) did not require a great deal of highlighting in the text. My embryonic 3rd novel (working title – George's Pedestal) is however crying out for excessive amounts of highlighting.

It happened quite by accident. 

For the first time ever I'm embarking on a novel which doesn't rely solely on my imagination. It covers areas which potentially, require... 

RESEARCH


I've studiously avoided this very thing because...

I HATE READING NON-FICTION!

But George's Pedestal has other ideas. As my writer friends will vouch – novels and characters take on a life all their own. And no matter what the writer does to steer the novel in a certain direction, you can be damn sure that novel is going to take the turn it wants to.

And YOU thought us authors had all the control.

George's Pedestal is loosely based on the life of my maternal grandfather. In the course of working on it I realised it was necessary to add in details of his youth (imaginary – yes, completely made up by me.)

On rereading one section set in the 19th century I had a mild nervous break down since I realised I'd mentioned a drive in a car.

  • Did they have cars then?

  • Would they have had them in South Africa?

  • How could I make it all plausible?

Yes, I know I'm making stuff up but I still want it to be relevant within the world he's meant to be living in.

Then it dawned on me that I'd also need information on the Victorian era, the period leading up to WW1, also WW2. Not to mention the rise of the Apartheid regime, Mahatma Gandhi etc etc.



So I made a cup of tea and knuckled down to the inevitable.

But, I could spend all my time RESEARCHING and getting no writing done.



Aaah so - cunning HIGHLIGHTING plan begins to evolve, no doubt brought on by the caffeine in the tea:


  • Research needed – GREEN highlight.


  • Revision required, e.g. show and not tell, - YELLOW highlight.

Etc...

Let the highlighting extravaganza begin!

And it most certainly did.

First one or two words were highlighted,

then phrases,

     then sentences,

          then entire paragraphs,

               then...

I think you get the picture.

But, I achieved my aim – I'm still upping my word count. And once my first draft is complete I will be able to go back and research all those little niggly areas I'm so concerned about.

I'm experiencing my second childhood. 

HIGHLIGHTING is after all just colouring in for adults.

And I'm loving it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w