Skip to main content

Supporting My Habit



I'm in the process of applying for jobs, yet again.  And I can tell you, I'm thoroughly fed up of it. But the thing is, I have this disgusting habit which requires me to beg, steal, borrow, sell my body or do some bloody work to fund it.

Yes, I'm talking about my Writing Addiction.

I acquired this deliciously dirty little pass time in my teens.  I wrote awful poetry.  I'm sure you know the sort I mean.  And I dabbled in short stories, but also began my very first novel.

It was called Panthra and was about a man who transmogrified into... yes, you guessed it, A PANTHER.  I was fourteen.  Don't laugh so hard.  Okay, go ahead.  I'm howling too.  Then, check out the uTube clip so that you know my idea was not altogether crazy.



Well the upshot of all this is that I'm still here, 32 years later, supporting my little habit.

I've tried various methods to cure me of this sinful addiction.

Rae's Writer's Anonymous 8 step programme

1. Full time teaching for 13 years – it almost killed me but did not stop the words from pushing their way from pen to paper, then keyboard to screen.

2. A couple of bad relationships – which depleted my bank account but had no effect on the habit apart from an increase in poetry – better in style than the teenage years but pretty poor none the less.

3. Unpleasant writing groups – these left me bereft of ever finding kindred writing spirits, but didn't decrease the desire to write.

4. Very enjoyable writing groups – which introduced me to a bevy of kindred writing spirits, increased my output and demanded more writing time and less full time job.

5. Part-Time Work – worked a treat by upping my word count substantially.  Ask any one at Caroline Naztler's writing workshops.

6. Redundancy – great in theory as the impending doom of no money should cramp the creative process.  Had no effect.

7. Self Employment – if you can understand the DWP website and know how to add up.  Result - Chasing The Hypotenuse

8. Signing On – humiliating, demoralising and deflating.  I don't recommend it for anyone who does not have the strongest of constitutions.  And as you will see from the poem at the end of this post, it did little to cure me of my addiction.

So here I am, thoroughly addicted to words.  And I wouldn't have it any other way, even when life is going totally pear shaped.  Because it keeps me sane, it keeps me happy and it never fails to make me smile.

Unemployment Calling

The wolf is at the door,
Again.
I'm always keeping him at bay -
Just.
I manage this by choosing wisely in the friendship stakes.

The evidence is in the axes littering the welcome mat
And my shed is stacked with firewood though I have no fire place.

The wolf is at the door
In the guise of an urban fox.
I almost didn't recognise him sporting that bushy auburn brush.
I have a fondness for red hair
So was temporarily blinded
By the fiery flash.

But now I think it's all clear.

The wolf is at the door -
Again;
Threatening, all huff and puff
And Red's out riding in the Hood,
Her voicemail says her number's no longer in service.
I think she's working undercover lately.

The wolf is at the door,
Buffy's no longer fighting beasties,
Van Helsing's totally obsessed with vamps.
I'll have to play it solo -
Plant and cultivate some wolf's bane,
Melt down all my silver earrings -
Again!

© Rae Stoltenkamp 30/04/2011


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faetaera: Through The Rabbit Hole

  Larell’s heart was full to the brim.  His audience with Aurelia had been unexpected and full of wonder.  He was not surprised she was aware of his plans to send a force through to the other side.  Aurelia always knew everything going on in her world.  At times he thought he saw the weight of it bearing down upon her.  Then he wished to take her in his arms and carry her as well as the burdens she bore.  But of course he would never do this, merely imagine it.  It made him love her all the more.  She thought he did not know how she came by her information and he planned on keeping it that way.  It was the only way he knew to express his love for her without feeling foolish.   In the crystal lined chamber he felt her load more palpably than usual.   He knew it was simply his foolish love-sickness for his Queen but he let the feeling soak through him regardless.   Aurelia's lips twitched briefly as though she was amused.   She was kind in her tolerance of his ridiculous obsess

Faetaera: A Triumvirate

  A Triumvirate Brairton’s minions slipped through a barely noticeable fissure.  The tear would close shortly.  Despite the increase in their regularity the breaches rarely stayed open very long.  To the three insidious spies, the stink of the new world was almost unbearable.  But in time the triumvirate would each become so used to it they would scarcely notice it at all.  That it poisoned them they did not know.  Brairton was not in the habit of informing his operatives of fatal consequences.  Their programming precluded any thought beyond the mission they must complete.  In this Brairton had been exact and had performed the necessary rituals himself. Each had their mission branded into their being.   They would travel together for some time but then slip off to their secret destinations one by one, never to see each other again. The threesome latched on to their individual targets and began their particular brand of individual mischief immediately. Minion one skulked off to en

Aphasia - Phase 1

It was one morning of May 2021. I woke up and I couldn’t speak. I didn’t know I had a stroke. I carried on as though I was okay. I even tried to negotiate with my guest when she was leaving. I tried to talk but only mumbles came out of my mouth. She left me with a big hug. I knew something was wrong. I tried to call my cousin, Michelle. With a few grunts, I convinced her to come round to my place. In the end she came round and she was very worried. She stayed with and we had lunch together. After she left, I called my friend in Sheffield, Bev. I tried to say what was wrong with me. I couldn’t speak. She rang my neighbour, Kathy. Kathy was out with Nelson, her fabulous dog. Bev rang her so she came round. When she came to my house I was sitting in the dark. Bev said she should call an ambulance. I took the phone from her and shook my head. Before long my neighbours Lizz and Leo came to see how I was. Kathy told Leo to ring the ambulance because I took her phone. She did not know w